Saturday, June 23, 2012

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of twats suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced

Hi there. There's a good chance that if you're reading this, you're new here. The events of the past 12 hours or so seem to have garnered me a fair amount of new traffic, so if you are new here - Hi. Take a seat. And the reason for this traffic?

Back on the 25th of October 2005, I posted the second of my Star Wars pixel mashes on www.b3ta.com. It whizzed around the internet a few times and then later that year began a bold and ambitious quest to seek out life at the edge of our solar system. Unfortunately it ended up getting caught in the gravitational pull of a rogue planetoid and was slingshot back to Earth, where it ended up being picked by by Reddit at some point yesterday.

As with every internet visit the pixelmashes seem to make, it ended up with the usual comments. For every lovely person who likes it because it reminds them of old 8 bit games or because they like it as a novelty or respect it as a silly little piece of art, there is the person who has to bring up the fact that telnet Star Wars is better and was first (which I can't deny - even though I was completely unaware of the existence of this when I made them) or takes the piss out of me for not having a life for having spent so long making it.

And, and of course the most common criticism. The one regular constant that emerges every single fucking time. With every single poster thinking they're the first person who has noticed.

Luke Skywalkers lightsaber is the wrong fucking colour.



























Am I green/blue colourblind? Did I get it wrong in some early frames and didn't have the time to go and revisit them? Did the colour palette forcibly change because of the optimisation routines I was using in Imageready to get the completed .gif to be so small?

No, none of these things. The true reason for this critical error which has at least 698 (and rising!) people of the internet in a foaming apoplectic rage is this..

I made a mistake, but frankly don't give a shit.

(Incidentally, I made comments on the gif but later last night deleted my Reddit account so my account name shows as 'Deleted'. I only ever go on there with said account when the pixelmashes resurface, and I'm frankly bored of the haters so don't plan on posting there again.  Life is too short to keep defending yourself for something done for a laugh thats 7 years old).

Internerds, feel free to take the .gif and correct the fucking lightsaber colour yourself if it pleases you. I made these in 2005 when I had a lot more free time (pre-mortgage and marriage, etc), but go for it.

But if you do, don't get upset when I comment on your corrected version that you've got way too much time on your hands.

Although, as a parting note, I'd like to add that my favourite comment is the person who asked why I didn't make an actual movie with sound rather an animated GIF.

My response? Somebody beat me to it. It's a movie called The Empire Strikes Back, dickhead.

EDIT: It's been pointed out to me that this comes across as a little ranty, and I can certainly see this. But it's genuinely not meant in offence - I absolutely love the fact that the pixelmashes resurface every now and then, and I get some genuinely fantastic reactions and comments. You're all lovely, lovely people.  Except for you who said you had to stop watching it when you saw it had the wrong colour lightsaber - I think you need help :)

5 comments:

  1. Do you have a problem with Reddit or with the comments? I'm not sure.

    If I made something cool and it resurfaced every once in a while, I'd be delighted.

    The reason that the highest rated comment is the comment about the light saber color is not because everybody hates you or thinks you did a bad job. It's just because one person notices it and writes a comment and other people notice it too so they upvote that comment.

    I genuinely do not understand your anger. You are the guy that ranted about people confusing "could of" and "could have".

    What kind of comments would you rather see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In all honesty, it's not really anger, just a typical bloggy rant. I genuinely love the fact that it resurfaces every now and then and it fascinates me that there are still people out there who haven't seen it - just every bloody time I get the lightsaber thing.

    The several beers I'd had last night didn't help much with my tolerance levels either, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw it for the first time today.
      "it fascinates me that there are still people out there who haven't seen it "
      You assumed that everyone on the planet already saw it? Wow.

      Delete
    2. Oh come on, that comment was to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's just as old as the hills, is all.

      Delete
  3. LOL. Yes, the internet: turning otherwise good and likeable people into trolls since 1993.

    I was wondering if you had done New Hope and Return of the Jedi as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Love 'em. However, abusive or spam or Anonymous ones may well be sent straight to the bin. Thems the rules.