Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Orange Wednesday my Arse

(title courtesy of @Gripweed1)

So, the HTC Desire is brilliant.  I've had it for nearly two weeks (albeit obtained by differing means to which I've intended) and I can't fault it.  Web-browsing is ultra-fast, and the use of widgets is genius.

But anyway, the continuing saga of Orange.

After I thought it was all resolved, I got an email last week telling me to fax in a disclaimer.  Despite my protests that I was told originally it would be fine to email said disclaimer, I faxed it off anyway.  (My asking if it would be okay to send in a fax in large print reading 'I did not steal the phone' apparently wouldn't be accepted).

After emailing Orange constantly to confirm receipt of the fax, I received a response telling me that the fax has been received and investigation would take up to 7 working days.  They got back to me within four, telling me the disclaimer had been accepted.  Another email to them got the response that the contract had been cancelled and that the Saturday delivery payment would be refunded to me within 7 - 10 working days.

Less than ten minutes after that though an SMS arrived on my phone, informing me that DPD had collected the handset (that I didn't want) and would arrive with me tomorrow.  Another email to Orange got the response that it was an automatic response and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Which I didn't.  Not until the SMS the next day telling me the phone would arrive between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. at my house anyway.  Another email to Orange, with the response from the person I'd been speaking to that he was on holiday and had been assured that no phone would be dispatched, but he'd deal with it when he get back into the office tomorrow (Friday the 29th).

The phone arrived at my house today.  One more email;

Sean,

I've arrived back home to find the cancelled handset was delivered to my neighbours today who have just dropped it round.  The same handset that should never have been posted in the first place.

Sean, I have no problem with you.  Throughout this whole ridiculous state of affairs you've been polite, courteous and have gone out of your way to help (even to the extent of responding to an email on my day off).  I do however have a problem with the following:-

* Despite repeating on no less than five occasions I did not require a handset as I've purchased one of my own from Carphone Warehouse,  I now find myself with an unwanted parcel containing exactly that.
* Being asked to deal with the courier myself after raising the incident originally.  Incredible.
* Having to fax in a disclaimer when told by your sales department that it was perfectly acceptable to send in an email to the same effect.  It took nearly a week for somebody to tell me this was not the case.
* I've had to repeat every detail of the incident each time I've called you - Does Orange not have the concept of 'work in progress' notes against calls logged with yourself?
* I'm slightly offended that the refund of the Saturday delivery charge takes 7-10 days to come back into my account.  Funnily enough when the Saturday delivery was requested, it left my account instantly.

I'm aware that companies (including my own) have issues with unreliable couriers.  However, I feel that Orange have dealt with the aftermath of this particular incident in an incredibly unprofessional and inefficient manner.   Insult has been heaped upon injury when Orange could have resolved this whole problem without incident had I actually been listened to from the start.  

I now have a parcel that shall remain unopened sitting in my house.  I have gone out of my way for the past twelve days to bend over backwards to get this resolved.  In the name of God, what happens next?  

I look forward to hearing from you at the earliest opportunity.  I'm in the unfortunate position whereby if this isn't resolved soon, I'll have no alternative but to seek legal advice.  

David Court

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Love 'em. However, abusive or spam or Anonymous ones may well be sent straight to the bin. Thems the rules.